From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-25 18:01:37

At 04:38 AM 10/24/2003, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

>PS I feel this long dialog may be showing a weakness in the review
>process.
>I can (from experience) understand authors' reluctance to put a lot of
work
>into the documentation (or redoing code) unless one can be sure that the
>code is going to be accepted. Do we need to accept a proposal in
>principle, then have a
>revision period, and then finally review and accept as 'official' release
>version (1st version anyway)?

There is definitely a chicken-and-egg problem. Reviewers often want fairly
finished docs, but developers don't want to put effort into finished docs
unless a library is going to be accepted.

Developers can sometimes help by documenting critical features and asking
for feedback on those features before proceeding. I'm not sure of any way
we can change our formal procedures just yet, but we should be on the
lookout for ways to improved the process.

--Beman