From: Hurd, Matthew (hurdm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-27 02:50:20

Hi Anthony,

Thanks.

That will work. I'll have a think about this some more... I'm particularly
interested in doing it in a way that is compatible with the single-threaded
no-locking case and multi-threaded locking case with minimal overhead to the
single threaded thinking... Obviously here the query objects add a fair bit
of semantic overhead to a generic class for the single threaded case where
they are not needed.

A policy class could take care of the overhead performance wise but not the
keystroke side of things...

This seems no worse than the null_synch / rw_synch approach where you have
to code to the rw_synch target where the null_synch elides the
synchronization.

I think that perhaps this is the only way...

But still, it would be nice if a pop and top could be combined into a single
atomic operation from a performance point of view, but the exception
specifications are toasted...

Thanks and regards,

Matt Hurd