From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-01 07:35:17

Rene,

I've found the current build/install system rather fragile, while trying to
test the vc7 toolset, I ended up with a bunch of libraries that appeared to
be correctly named etc, but were in fact binary-incompatible with what they
claimed to be, I think I've tracked this down to the bjam command line I
used:

bjam -sBUILD="release debug <runtime-link>static/dymanic
<threading>multi/single" stage

Apart from the long and tedious nature of this command line (if you want to
build all the variants), notice the mis-spelling of "dymanic". bjam issued
no warnings, and still built libs that *claimed* to be built against the
dynamic runtime (by having names like libboost_regex-vc7-mt-1_31.lib), but
which judging by the linker errors I received were actually built against
the static runtime.

I'm still investigating this, but this looks to be a major source of
potential errors / user complaints, these problems are likely to be very
hard to track down remotely as well.

Thanks again,

John.