From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-03 07:27:43

Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
> "Pavol Droba" <droba_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 04:47:35PM +1100, Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>>>
>>> "Pavol Droba" <droba_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> more
>>>>>

>>> It's not that hard, is it?
>>
>> I think, I understand what is Dave trying to say. It easy to add
>> something to a library, because an addition does not break anything,
>> while removal always brings a slight chance, that it would break
>> some code.
>
> my thought was that if it was heavily used, it was because it did
> serve a real need and removal was not necessary. If only a few people
> used it, it wouldn't be hard to depricate it.

No, not really. Consider the case where the same functionality canbe
accomplished in three different ways, two of them redundant. There will be
users that depend on either.

For a concrete example from the string algorithms library, consider erase_*
vs replace_* with an empty replacement, or erase_range versus the member
function erase.