From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-17 14:35:42

Sorry if I am half blind/ inefficient with CVS, but I could not find this ^^^^^

| I have several questions:
|
| [1] Is there a demand for input support of complex/sequential data types
| from a stream?

Yes, IMO.

| [2] What are peoples views on my implementation? Should I continue?

Yes.

| [3] Is there a need for better exception/error information from a failed
| input operation -- incompatible data types; size of list not supplied; data
| type to small to fit the data; etc.?

Perhaps.

| [4] When implementing an input operation on a stream, it is advised/required
| you should not modify the object passed to it unless the operation succeeds.
| My feeling on this is that it would lead to inefficiencies (i.e. excessive
| copying). I want to construct the object on the fly, leaving a partially
| constructed object on failure, to improve efficiency. I will strongly
| document this deviated behaviour, but what do other people feel about this?

Probably worth a compromise.

| Documentation will be provided if there is interest in this addition.
|
| Aside from this addiion, do people feel that my library is ready for review.

Looks promising to me, but I can see that a 'merger' with serialization may
prove attractive longer-term.

Paul

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]