From: Dan W. (danw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-04 01:51:28

Rene Rivera wrote:

>> To be honest I'm not 100% sure either, but close to it... that a
>> typical linker will remove fat from your .obj, but not from a .lib;
>> --but I could be wrong.
> The typical linker will only include the code, including dependent code,
> only for externally visible symbols, regardless of its origin. And

Ha! I didn't think they were that smart.

> depending on the type of loader support the loader can do the equivalent
> at load time (load only what is needed/used).

You mean dynamic libraries? I whould have thought the whole file would
be put in memory... Would you not risk going through disk latency
multiple times, loading a .dll/.so piece-meal?

> *But* most developers use
> the linker in an "export everything" mode.

Most programmers default the compiler optimizations to speed; I always
default them to size. I suppose this choice prevents the "export all"
syndrom you speak of?