From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-09 13:46:24

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:05:07 -0500, Deane Yang wrote:
> Paul A. Bristow wrote:
>> My guess is that at least 90% of applications will use only SI units.
> If the library is designed specifically for physical dimensions, I agree.
> If the library is designed for user-defined units or dimensions, I
> disagree.

If the library allows user-defined units, but not user-defined
dimensionality checking, does anybody know how many applications areas are
being eliminated?

I *know* that I need user-defined units (many of which will be
dimensionless standard 7 dimension world), but I honestly can't see any
case where I would need to define a different set of dimensions (assuming
I've already got the base 7). I can (tentatively) see a possibility for
extending the 7, but not replacing them.

Yes, I know it is more flexible to be able to replace them, but can
somebody present a realistic situation where it is *necessary* (not
just desirable) to do so?

phil

--
change name before "@" to "phil" for email