From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-12 06:06:13

> Boost.Python is dynamic by default and only rarely should be linked to
> statically. It sounds like these macros are designed with the
> opposite default in mind?

That's correct, basically regex used to be dynamic by default, but that
attracted sufficient complaints that it seemed sensible to change, and then
write up the rationale and mechanism used in case it is of use to others.
However there are two libraries: Thread and Python which are "special" in
the sense that they can only really be built in certain ways. My guess is
that Boost.Python would be dynamic by default, maybe with it's own macro to
turn that off if it is in fact possible.

So I guess we're left with:

BOOST_PYTHON_SOURCE: or whatever python already uses for this.
BOOST_PYTHON_NO_LIB: to turn off auto-linking (if supported).
BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB: turns off auto-linking (if supported)
BOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_LINK: forces static linking (probably use with whatever
python already uses).

John.