From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-19 20:09:59

"Reece Dunn" <msclrhd_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
> > Howard 's post convinced me that there's no point trying to>
>shared_ptr.
>
> > In the middle of the night :-) I thought I had an idea how to
> >eliminate that nasty void* in your auto_ptr implementation.
> >Unfortnately, it didn't work :-( (I think my intutions are off
> >because I've been doing so much metaprogramming.) I also came to
the
> >view that Howards zero-overhead criteria for deleters is probably
> >strict, if move_ptr deleters are to resemble those for shared_ptr,
> >even if the deleter were an optional template parameter.
> >retrofir auto_ptr with extra features. You have convinced me of the
> >utility of deleters, if their usage can be brought closer to that
of

> [snip]
>
> Have I got this completely wrong, or can't you do this:

Hi Reece,

Your version fails to compile when the templated constructor

    template<typename U>
    explicit move_ptr(U* u)
        : d_(&deleter_holder<standard_deleter<U>, U>::destroy),
          t_(u)
        { }

is used; the type U is hardcoded in the signature of the deleter, so
it can not be copied into d_.

The problem I ran into (I assume its the same one Bronek Kozicki
alluded to in his source) has to do with multiple iheritance.Suppose
you're given a pointer to T, and then ownership is transferred one or
more times resulting in a pointer to a class U further up the
inheritance hierarchy. Now in order to safely pass the pointer to U to
the stored deleter, it must first be cast to a pointer to T.

Unfortunately, while the stored deleter know the type T, it cannot be
expected to know anything about U; similarly, while the move_ptr
destructor may know about U (maybe not -- it could be incomplete), it
doesn't know about T. Bronek Kozicki's solution was to store the
original void*, which can safely be passed to the deleter.

You might be able to save a byte or two by storing an offset, but this
relies on implementation defined behavior, and would not be able to
handle really huge objects.

Jonathan

> // (C) Copyright Bronek Kozicki, Daniel Wallin, Jonathan Turkanis.
> // Permission to copy, use, modify, sell and distribute this
software
> // is granted provided this copyright notice appears in all copies.
This
> // software is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty,
and
> // with no claim as to its suitability for any purpose.
>
> //
> // Implementation of the move_ptr from the "Move Proposal"
> // (http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2002/n1377.htm)
> // enhanced to support custom deleters and safe boolean conversions.
> //
> // The implementation technique was discovered by Rani Sharoni (see
his
> // proposal to fix std::auto_ptr posted on comp.std.c++ on Dec 1st,
2003);
> // the current implementation combines code and ideas by Bronek
Kozicki and
> // Daniel Wallin, with a little help from Jonathan Turkanis and
Reece Dunn.
> //
>
> #ifndef BOOST_MOVE_PTR_HPP_INCLUDED
> #define BOOST_MOVE_PTR_HPP_INCLUDED