From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-27 03:58:03

"Ken Hagan" <K.Hagan_at_[hidden]> wrote
> "Andy Little" <andy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > I am writing a library with hopes that it may, one day, become part
> > of boost. Whether it ever makes it to the main libraries or not it
> > would be nice to fit it in to the boost namespace system. Should I
> > grab a boost sub-namespace e.g boost::my_whacky_library or should I
> > avoid the boost namespace entirely? I feel a bit 'cheeky' using the
> > boost namespace for something that is not 'officially' boost. Is
> > there any policy on this?
>
> I thought one of the original intentions of namespaces was to avoid
> such questions. Specifically, you could develop the library in a
> non-boost namespace and then move it into boost later.

Yes That is what I should do. I should use the boost namespace only for
things that are in the latest release library. That is a didactic rule ,
which I like.

[snip]

> I haven't done much namespace changing myself, so if there are
> traps around (say) argument-dependent lookup then I won't be
> familiar with them, but I would have thought it was a fair strategy
> to start with and I would hope that a complete list of "traps and
> their workarounds" could be compiled.

I guess the root of my problems is just a good old lack of organisation at
the moment :-)

Thanks all for the info. I shall cogitate further upon it.

regards
Andy Little