From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-05 09:59:03

"Burc Arpat" <burch_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> i was actually waiting for the rush of the new release to go away to
ask this
> question:
>
> i have seen some recent discussions regarding the threads library
and from what
> i gathered there are plans to start working on it again.

That would be Roland and myself.

> but, it also seems the
> original owner of the lib has disappeared from the list

Yes. Again, if anyone knows how to contact him, please do!

> here at the petroleum eng. dept. of stanford university, we use
boost rather
> heavily and lately we started into looking parallelization issues.
we, of
> course, would like to use a cross-platform library such as
boost.threads but are
> a bit worried about the future of it
>
> so, i guess, the questions are: is there gonna be a new release of
> boost.threads?

I'm hoping so. At the very least I hope to fix any known or newly
discovered bugs. Also, there are changes that William Kempf checked
into the thread_dev branch in CVS before he disappeared from the list.
I hope to incorporate these changes--or at least the ones that are
already finished.

> if so, are there any plans to change the interface to a degree
> that it will require significant changes in the user code?

Definitely not. Thread cancellation or one of the other features
William Kempf was working on may require some changes (I need to look
into this), but I wouldn't expect any of them to require major
changes. I've communicated with Roland privately, and the changes we
are both most interested in (other than those listed above) are
changes that build on the existing implementation rather than change
it (e.g. new classes that use the existing ones). Most of the changes
others have suggested to the Boost.Thread library from time to time
also fall into this category.

> with that said, let me also state that, i will be more than glad to
give full
> test support for the library if any changes are being considered

Thanks!