From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-10 15:02:02

Peter wrote:

> David Bergman wrote:
> >
> > There seem to be two schools here: (1) the Standardists,
> striving to
> > follow The Standard verbatim, and (2) the Pragmatics, trying to see
> > how different mechanisms would affect their daily struggles
> with real
> > problems.
>
> Sorry, that's nonsense. Nobody in the world is (1), and the
> only reason to bring up this hypothetical school division is
> as an excuse to write broken code that happens to work today.

I believe in coherence and logics, but that is not necessarily derived only
by interpreting The Standard, especially when threads are concerned, i.e.,
there might be other soures for coherence. I am a Theorist, with too many
millions of lines of code under my belt not to be a Pragmatic at times. And,
yes, I think following The Standard as closely as possible provide for good
foundation for both solid theories and working implementations.

If you are looking to bash junior developers, "if"-ing their ways through
life, look elsewhere.

/David