From: Douglas Paul Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-18 15:44:16

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Douglas Paul Gregor wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Peter Dimov wrote:
> >>
> >> But the question is why (and the name is boost::fs). Claiming the
> >> identifier 'fs' in the boost namespace isn't more evil than claiming
> >> the identifier 'ref' or 'type' or 'bind'... or 'function', if you
> >> will.
> >
> > I'm not going to defend "type", because I'm not thrilled that it's there.
> > As for the others, only "ref" is an abbreviation, but we're knocking
> > something that's huge ("reference_wrapper", 17 characters) and is often
> > used several times in one line of code down to 3 characters.
> >
> > I think it's a fuzzy line in the sand, so all I really know is that I do
> > like "ref" and don't like "fs" :)
>
> Yes, is seems that it comes down to personal preference. Dave likes to say
> filesystem, and you don't like fs. Out of curiosity, do you like 'std'?

Yes, actually. Part of my weighting scheme has to do with how often I need
to type it. With filesystem, for instance, I either use it very sparingly
(and don't mind the typing), or I'm using it like mad and will go with an
alias no matter what. With "std", I need it all the bloody time for
everything, so it better be short. (Kind of like "ls" or "cd").

> I believe that there is a (subjective) threshold that shouldn't be crossed,
> or the programmer just "goes unqualified". Now, it's well known that many
> programmers don't tolerate namespaces at all. Others, apparently, are
> content with longer namespace names if this aids clarity. But I somewhat
> suspect that the majority are like me, they'll keep using qualified names
> until the library offers them an excuse to cut corners. So I'd rather not
> give them that excuse.

I'm not against going unqualified in reasonably safe places, so it doesn't
bother me quite as much.

<stands up> My name is Doug Gregor, and I use using directives. <sits back
down>

I suspect we'll be arguing this for every longish name and shortish
abbreviation that goes into Boost for a good, long time :)

        Doug