From: Brian McNamara (lorgon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-25 11:41:53

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 06:31:56PM -0800, Thomas Witt wrote:
> here is my next try at an improved formal review procedure. I did away
> with the additional mailing list. The outlined process tries to reduce
> the burden on all involved as far as possible.

Nice. A couple comments/questions...

> Procedure
> ---------
> * The author posts a prereview request to the list. Subject line must
> contain "[prereview request]".
>
> * The author posts review request to review wizard. Subject line must
> contain "[review request]" and the message should contain a link to
> the prereview request.
> The review request must be seconded by two boost members. To second a
> review request does not imply a positive review. A person who
> seconded a review request can act as a review manager. If nobody has
> volunteered so far the review wizard helps finding a review manager.

I don't quite understand these two steps. What is the purpose of the
"prereview request"? Just to obtain "seconds" (and possibly people
willing to be managers)? I think so, but I'm not clear on the intent.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "a link the to prereview request".
If I understand the intent of the "prereview request", then perhaps what
the wizard really wants is just a list of people/email-addresses who
seconded.

> * The review manager checks whether the library is suitable and ready
> for review.
>
> * The review manager sends a schedule request to the review wizard. The
> subject line must contain "[schedule request]".
>
> * The review wizard schedules the review. Reviews will be scheduled on a
> first come first serve basis, based on the schedule request.

I think this step (scheduling) needs to be more "interactive". The
review manager needs a say in the scheduling too, as well as the author.
(No sense having a review during a time when one of these parties is
absent.) I guess the point is that the review wizard is just keeping
up the FCFS order, so he says "we have other reviews going until May3,
so find an agreeable time after that" and then the manager/author agree
on a time and report back to the wizard to get it officially on the
schedule.

--
-Brian McNamara (lorgon_at_[hidden])