From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-02 15:14:15

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:38:41 -0700, Jonathan Turkanis wrote

> Sometime last summer I posted a small library for creating custom
> streams and stream buffers. You suggested I extended it to
> incorporate filtering, which I did. It's in the formal review queue.
> I'm not sure it's what you had in mind, but you can take a look at
> the online version here: http://www.xmission.com/~turkanis/iostreams/.
>
> One type of streambuf I chose not to support, because I didn't think
> it would be used much, was a streambuf whose underlying sequence of
> characters is presented as a fixed in-memory array. (Daryle Walker
> provdies one in his i/o library.) The application with memory mapped
> files seems important enough that I think I should add such a
> facility, which would be easy to do. I'm trying to decide the most
> elegant way.

I think it would be an excellent testcase for your library. In case you
missed it earlier in the thread there is already a library from Craig
Henderson in the boost-sandbox (memmap) that portably allocates memory mapped
files. You should be able to build on top of that work....

Jeff