From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-03 08:08:52

Neal D. Becker wrote:

> On a slightly different thought: if you use a special allocator with a
> container, such as vector, that is mmap-based, then serialization
> would be trivial. I wonder if we can use this?

This is the moral equivalent of fwrite'ing the vector to disk. It can
work... for a while... if you don't upgrade the compiler and never change
the object layout, or if you don't mind all your files being invalidated.
Some compilers use such a scheme for their precompiled headers, I believe.

You don't really need a serialization library for this, of course. ;-)