From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-10 03:25:10

David Abrahams wrote:

> > We have a similar case with remove(), which is reported by remove()
> > returning a bool indicating if it actually removed anything.
> >
> > It would be quite consistent for create_directory() to return a bool
> > indicating if it actually had to create the directory.
>
> FWIW, I think that's the right approach.

I agree, too. Returning bool far more elegant than using second parameter or
two different functions.

BTW, this revives old thread about better name for 'create_directories'. The
best alternative name, in my opinion, was 'demand_directory', because that
emphasize that directory may exist already.

But if 'create_directory' is changed as now suggested, "demand" suffix in
"demand_directory" will not mean anything.

So, what would be better name of create_directories:

     create_directory_and_parents
     create_path
     demand_path

?