From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-10 07:23:14

> Well the problem seems to be caused by an unsuccesfull compilation of
> cpp_regex_traits.o
> At line 236 of cpp_regex_traits.cpp for instance a
> std::messages<char>::catalog is casted to an int and vacpp does not like
> it. I'm not very familiar with localization and I could not find any
> indication in the standard that casting the catalog type to an int
> should be possible (John?,Robert?)
>
> As a last resort we could define BOOST_NO_STD_MESSAGES but this will
> AFAICT no justice to the vacpp compiler that _does_ provide the
> std::messages.

OK, this has come up before: the standard *requires* that
std::messages<>::catalog is an int, and that on failure
std::messages<>::open returns a negative value. However IBM in their wisdom
have made std::messages<>::catalog a pointer type, now I understand why
they're done this, but it makes it impossible to write portable code that
manipulates std::messages IMO.

John.