From: Douglas Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-11 10:18:26

On Thursday 11 March 2004 06:14 am, Peter Dimov wrote:
> > Why? Because most users just want to write a
> > normal operator== and have it work; that's what makes sense. Just
> > because Lambda can do some screwy things with syntax (and believe me,
> > I love Lambda) doesn't mean others should have to use a weird
> > comparison syntax.
>
> I note that you show some pro-== bias. function_equal (my original name was
> fn_equal, but I can live with either) is not the same as ==, even though it
> does use == by default. Placeholders, reference_wrapper, tuple all respond
> differently to fn_equal and ==.
>
> In fact, I still think that your decision to expose the 'f contains g'
> operation under the f == g notation is a mistake, too. 'contains' is not
> '==', either; it is asymmetric, as it is possible for f to contain g but
> not vice versa.
>
> In short, == for function objects is an illusion and it must die, Herb
> Sutter's influential articles notwithstanding.

Opinion noted :)

The primary reason for using operator== is that it models what function
pointers do, and makes function<> a near-complete drop-in replacement for
function pointers. That's been my goal for a Very Long Time.

The question is whether the ambiguities it brings outweigh the benefits of
having a function-pointer---like syntax.

        Doug