From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-11 11:43:33

John Maddock wrote:

>> Compatibility headers (in boost\compatibility\cpp_c_headers)
>> don't compile with BCB 6.4.

>I'm confused why you would be using those - Borland supplies the new style
>headers with everything in namespace std already doesn't it?

Here's our problem,

In the serialization library there are 14 files that use functions from the
std namespace. In order to compile these under VC 6.0 ( and perhaps other
platforms ) we specify:

#include <boost/compatibility/cpp_c_headers/cstring> // memcpy

This resolves the issue with vc 6.0 ( and who knows who else ? maybe STLPort
? ). Conformant compilers don't seem to be affected adversely by this. The
code itself uses a standard "std::memcpy" and everything is pretty clean.

Now comes along Borland - the files ccp_c_headers won't compiler here. So
now we're in a quandary.

a) Sprinkle #ifdef BORLAND in those 14 files
b) Tweak cpp_c_headers files
c) Or ? what?

What is the least worst way to handle this?

If I have to use a) what is the point of even having cpp_c_headers?

Robert Ramey