From: Hanson, Iain (iain.hanson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-31 05:48:16

> From: Allan Odgaard [mailto:ML_at_[hidden]] Sent: 30 March 2004 22:25
>

> Yes -- although I personally do need it even when I do not write
> operating systems ;) and thus my question really was if there is any
> general interest in such a library, since I did exhaustive searching
> and was only able to find such region stuff implemented
> publicly in the
> GDK/GTK library, which is ANSI-C AFAICT, and that led me to the
> conclusion that either there is no real use for this stuff
> outside GUI
> kits, windowing systems, and 2D games or efficient region "logic" is
> often skipped for ad hoc workarounds like using bounding boxes or
> refreshing more than necessary -- in which case there really ought to
> be a library.

I think that there really is a need for such a library. From what
I have seen, many libs that need this either use ad hoc solutions
as you suggest above, or they re-invent the wheel and the solution
they come up with is intimately bound up with their problem space
and therefore not easily re-useable.

/ikh

#include <std_disclaimer>

Everything following this line has been provided courtsey of my ISP and I have
no control over it.