From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-11 17:12:33

On 4/9/04 7:34 PM, "Miro Jurisic" <macdev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> In article <BC9BBB6D.90D3%darylew_at_[hidden]>,
> Daryle Walker <darylew_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I thought that CVS regulates all text files to have Unix-style line endings,
>> and a CVS client will change a text file's line-endings upon check-in or -out
>> from/to the appropriate character(s) for the client's platform.
>
> FWIW, CVS regulates (inasmuch as CVS regulates anything) that the client
> canonicalize text files before sending them, and the server sends the files to
> the client in a canonical form, as you thought.

So, the initial CVS client has to convert the text file to UNIX format? And
the server won't sanity-check this in either direction, which means a later
client will apply the UNIX-to-native translation on a file that may not be
in the UNIX format? The system would only work right if the uploading and
downloading clients both correctly do UNIX translation, or if _both_ clients
forget to do it _and_ they happen to share the same text format. (Actually,
only the first case is working right, the second case is working wrong but
getting away with it.)

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie