From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-13 00:09:36

All -

Today (April 13th) is the start of the formal review of the Serialization
library by Robert Ramey. The review will run until Monday April 26th. I will
be serving as review manager. Library details are below. I have a number of
special requests for this review:

1) This is a large, complex, and important library. Please don't wait till the
end of the review period to start your review -- there is no additional room
in the review schedule to extend the review period.
2) I am particularly interested in hearing from parties that have tried to
extend the library by adding serialization for a new type or by building a new
type of archive. The ability to easily extend the library for new types and
novel types of archives is critical for this library.
3) If you reviewed the library during the first review, I would like your
evaluation of whether the new version of the library addresses your original
concerns. Also, if this is a re-review I would appreciate if you could send
me a weblink from the mail archive to your original review posting(s).
4) Finally, I would like reviewers to indicate parts of the library that might
become standalone boost libraries. While this will have little bearing on the
acceptance / rejection of the library it might allow a reduction in the size
of the library.

As usual, please state in review comments how you reviewed the library and
whether the you think the library should be accepted into Boost. Further
guidelines for writing reviews can be found on the website at:

http://www.boost.org/more/formal_review_process.htm#Comments

Library Details:
>From the library synopsis:
Here, we use the term "serialization" to mean the reversible deconstruction of
an arbitrary set of C++ data structures to a sequence of bytes. Such a system
can be used to reconstitute an equivalent structure in another program
context. Depending on this context, this might used implement object
persistence, remote parameter passing or other facility. In this system we use
the term "archive" to refer to a specific rendering of this stream of bytes.
This could be a file of binary data, text data, XML, or some other created by
the user of this library.

The latest package can be found at the following locations:

http://www.rrsd.com/boost/index.htm