From: Pavol Droba (droba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-14 05:04:06

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 12:15:22PM +0400, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Pavol Droba wrote:
>
> >> The new string algorithms to_upper etc do support locales.
> >>

> > They do, however, the algorithm only operates on per-character basis. This
> > discussion about the unicode goes far beyond what is possible to achieve
> > by using std locales.
> >
> > Anyway, if there will be a proper unicode support provided in boost, I see
> > no problem with the adaptation of string algorithms to make use of it.
>
> Hmm... shouldn't it be the other way around? That is boost::unicode_string
> should provide some iterators which can be passed to the string_algo
> library, and guarantee that it works OK.

AFAIK there is no unicode_string there so far. So the string_algo lib works
with the stuff, that is available. i.e. std containers (with fixed-width characters)
and locales.

I can imagine a support for unicode string. If it would be well designed, many
string algorithms can work almost out-of-box.

Regards,

Pavol