From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-14 13:32:03

From: "Powell, Gary" <powellg_at_[hidden]>
> >From: Jody Hagins <jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden]>
> >> "Powell, Gary" <powellg_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Or, instead, you use something like...
> >>
> >> date = January END or LAST;
> >>
> >> meaning the last day of the month. Then, adding a month would always
> >> jump to the last day of the next month. I imagine with...
>
> >That would work well.
>
> Ok, but you need more than just LAST, you need LAST-1, LAST-2, and LAST-3

Why? I can't imagine a good use case for wanting one, two, or
three days before the end of the month as a special form of date.

> That's why I use seconds..

You still have to make them useful to humans for I/O.

> >> date = February 28;
> >> add_month(date);
> >>
> >> you would want March 28, and not March 31???
>
> >Yes.
>
> I would expect this as well. the 28th is either LAST, or just
> plain old 28th.

Right. I took that example to mean it was the 28th day of the
month of February. That is happened to be the last day of the
month is irrelevant. The "LAST" or "END" form is quite separate.

> Personally I like Jeff's solution, that you provide the increment function.
> Because it sounds like we have different use cases for "next month" The
> loose case of "see you for your next appointment next month", and
> "delivery is in One Month". Where 30 days is the "next month" vs
> the calendar end.

Yes, but I think it is reasonable for the library to provide one
or two implementations and even make one the default. If the
opportunity to customize the behavior exists, you've provided for
the other cases.