From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-15 11:29:44

"DY, JERRY U (SBCSI)" <jd2419_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Dave,
>
>>> I would be very surprised if nobody has tried before since HP is a
>>> top-tier vendor
>>
>>I have tried, but not in the last 9 months. HP may be "top-tier" but
>>if so their compilers have not proven to be of the same caliber as the
>>rest of the company, at least when it comes to compiling Boost code.
>>The number and severity of the compiler bugs, and the poor quality of
>>the error messages, made the job infeasibly hard.
>
> If you have notes that might be useful or helpful for me (to save me
> time), I would appreciate it. I have been quite successful in porting
> code over to aC++ over the years and have reported several
> compiler/linker/debugger bugs to the HP response center and worked with
> them to fix problems or find workarounds. The last one I helped fix was
> the ANTLR parser generator.

I'm afraid I don't. It couldn't deal properly with integral constant
expressions as template members, IIRC. The worst problems were
internal compiler errors that simply crashed the compiler
unceremoniously. Trying to narrow down the cases that failed to
anything reasonably small was very difficult, and even then the
results provided few or no clues as to possible workarounds.

My suggestion for HP-UX? gcc.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting