From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-16 01:40:57

Matthew Vogt wrote:

> Is anyone else interested in using Robert Ramey's serialization library
> for the purpose of marshalling data into pre-determined binary formats?

Interest has been expressed for XDR in the past.

Basically, I see this as a very positive thing and want to do everything I
can to support your efforts. Your code supports save and load for two new
formats (XDR and CDR). This is a valuable contribution. I'm also pleased
that the serialization library has been deemed (at least by one person) to
be worthy of investment of such an effort ( 1500 lines of code !).

I took a little time to scan your attachments. My examination was cursory
and feel free to correct any thing I didn't get right. Here are my comments.

1) I wonder why you derived ordered_oarchive from
basic_binary_oprimitive<Archive, OStream> . It doesn't seem that any of the
functionality basic_binary_oprimitive actually used. I presume the same goes
for ordered_iarchive .

2) there's some stuff in boost that addresses alignment in a guaranteed?
Portable manner that may relevant here. Sse #include
<boost/aligned_storage.hpp> . BTW - the best way to make your code portable
without cluttering up with #ifdef etc... is to use more boost stuff - let
other people clutter up their code with #ifdef all over the place.

3) I'm curious about the override for the saving of vector. It seems to me
equivalent to the one included with the system. And if vector requires
special treatment, what about the list, et al. This doesn't seem necessary
to me. Perhaps the fact that I did treat strings specially was misleading.
I considered this a special case. I don't think vectors are in this
context.

4) Missing license, authorship etc. Also add more comments and description
and explanation of motivation for things that might not be obvious. This is
a work of literature and art that will live for a long time - make it
worthy.

5) I took great pains to organize code so that users of the library would
not be including things that were strictly implementation. This is the
origin of the *.ipp files. You might want to consider the same. Any
template that does have a serializable type as a parameter (ie only archive)
is a candidate for this treatment. In fact I would like to see a more
"formal" separation of interface and implementation.

6) Get the bjam system running if you haven't already. It would be quite
easy to add your archives to the set tested. Currenty, the test system runs
about 30-40 tests on each archive type. It's a torture test ( and still I'm
finding bugs). I think it would take you maybe an hour to tweak the bjam
script and the code in serialization/test/test_tools.hpp to run all the
tests on your own archive classes - ( maybe I should add information on
doing this to the manual - it never occurred to me that someone would get to
this point so soon) This is an absolute must if you want to have your
addition seriously considered.

7) I'm just a little queasy about using the term marshalling. In fact any
of the archive implementations could be used for marshalling - not just a
binary one (XML is the favorite flavor of the month). So I think it's sort
of misleading. I think it is very helpful that your naming scheme
xdr_oarchive, cdr_oarchive, leverages on the existing one.

8) in my native binary archive, I used a template parameter for the stream
class. As it stands, I don't test or use the corresponding archive for wide
character streams because the WEOF would need special treatment. I haven't
spent any time on this. Perhaps you've addressed this in some way.

I didn't look in that much detail. I suspect that's enough to keep you
motivated. Good luck and thanks for working on and with the library.

Robert Ramey