From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-21 14:23:59

Rob Stewart wrote:
>From: "Reece Dunn" <msclrhd_at_[hidden]>
> > Nothing. You do indeed need two functions:
> > iterator iter_offset( difference_type );
> > const_iterator const_iter_offset( difference_type ) const;
>
>Why? This is perfectly valid C++:
>
> iterator iter_offset(different_type);
> const_iterator iter_offset(different_type) const;
>
>So is there something in how you want to use them that precludes
>your overloading them that way?

No. I was not aware that it is possible to do this. I have now adopted
   struct char_string
   {
      virtual iterator iter_offset(different_type) = 0;
      virtual const_iterator iter_offset(different_type) const = 0;
   };
into my implementation.

Q: Since the above is valid C++, is the following?:
   virtual void myfn( char ) = 0;
   virtual void myfn( int, bool ) = 0;

Because I had assumed that you could not do this, since (1) I haven't read
the standard that properly, I have mainly focused on learning from other
books (like Stroustrup, 3ed) and (2) I haven't seen any code that uses
virtual functions like char_string above or my question.

Regards,
Reece