From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-22 17:12:00

David Abrahams wrote:
>"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:18:41 -0400, David Abrahams wrote
>concept).
> >>
> >> I am opposed to the idea of requiring humans to initiate the right
> >> tests, at least without proof that mechanically-initiated tests are
> >> unworkable. I don't think we've proven that yes.
> >
> > They shouldn't be human initiated -- just configured to one level or
>another.
> > Now obviously a human would need to intervene to reset the level, but
>that
> > would only be in the case of ramping up to release, adding a new
>library,
> > adding a new compiler, or a specific author request. I believe this
>would be
> > rather infrequent.

I was not suggesting that the basic/full tests be initiated by a human. This
is what shell scripts are for: full-tests.sh and basic-tests.sh! Then tell a
computer to run full-tests.sh once a week and basic-tests.sh daily.

> > Basically, right now we have no way of setting up a Jamfile that can
>satisfy
> > the need to have full up tests for new compilers, etc and a basic set of
>quick
> > tests...short of replacing the Jamfile all the time.
>
>I don't see that as a need, or neccessarily an advantage. Only
>outdated tests get run.
>
>That said, of course we do have a way:
>
> # foo.jam
>
> if $(Not_Defined)
> {
> # torture tests go here
> }
>
>In what way is commenting out the "if" line and checking in the
>jamfile significantly different from other mechanisms one might use to
>alter the set of tests that get run?

Is it possible to add the level as a parameter like how you can configure
static/dynamic linking, e.g.:

   test basic : basic.cpp : <level>basic ;
   test complete : complete.cpp : <level>torture ;

# basic-tests.sh
   bjam ... basic-test

# full-tests.sh
   bjam ... full-test