From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-26 15:24:15

John Nagle wrote:
> Since space for a trailing null is required, the
>minimum "capacity" is currently 1.
>
> The maximum value for "size()" is then "capacity()-1".
>That seems a little wierd. Should the trailing null be
>counted in "capacity?"

This is a good point. At the moment fixed_string< n >::capacity() == n. It
would therefore make sense that this be changed so that either:

[1] fixed_string< n >::capacity() == n - 1 -- this would seem
counter-intuitive, as fixed_string< 1 > would not be able to store any
characters!

[2] change CharT str[ n ] to CharT str[ n + 1 ] -- i.e. add an extra
character for the trailing null. This would make more sense, as it is
similar to:
   char * str = new char[ s.length() + 1 ];

I personally but a vote for solution 2, but what do other people think?

Regards,
Reece

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger