From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-02 00:29:23

Hi Daryl,

> Hi John,
> I really like your idea of simplifying the actual logging by not directly

Thanks.

> Support for dynamic log creation:
>
> Some form of dynamic log creation would be very useful. Consider a networked
> system of some kind in which the application instantiates an object with a
> runtime determined name/identifier (such as the address/name of the
> peer/client/server/node/service/entity). So to turn on detailed logging of
> information from just one such entity, named "bob" one would (via an
> appropriate runtime UI) enable_logs("app.trace.client.bob"). The object that
> represents a connection with bob needs to hold some scoped_log object. The
> actual writing to the log would need to be different for a dynamic vs static
> log - a macro taking the scoped_log rather than the log_name.

I'm sorry - I know you gave an example, but did not understand it too
well. Could you please explain further - eventually in a private email?

> Possible bug in handling of early logging:
>
> Isn't the effectiveness of the facility to buffer data written prior to
> defining the log dependent on the order of instantiation of the static objects
> that log vs the instantiation of the logid's themselves? If any logging is
> attempted after the logid name is registered but before any log_funcs have
> been added the messages will be lost. Or am I missing something here?

You're right about this. I have to think of a way to fix it - do you
have any idea?

> Log enable/disable/add/remove performance/scalability:
>
> The separation of logging and the implied hierarchy has made for a relatively
> expensive update process when the logging settings are changed. As you point
> out in the docs, this shouldn't be a big issue, as they don't change often.
> However, I am somewhat disturbed by what looks like an O(n^2) cost for log

yes, but n will be very small - 10-20 at the most IMO. Anyway (see
below), I'll allow you to disallow latency.

> enable/disable. Maybe this is just an implementation detail that can be
> optimised relatively easily (couldn't the raw enabled array be implemented as
> a map keyed by prefix?). One could also imagine building a more elaborate,
> data structure to represent the hierarchy if this level of optimisation was
> really needed (I'm not suggesting that you should do this).

I would really need to think abou this. The thing is that I assume a
regular app won't have more than 10-20 logs (note: not loggers =
Appenders, a la log4j). Even for about 100 logs, this should be
extremely fast.

> Multi-threading performance:
>
> The caching of the loglib_info on a per thread basis seems to have the
> potential to produce some large latencies in the operation of a heavily-multi-
> threaded application whenever logging settings are changed. The loglib_info is
> certainly not a lightweight object and is copied between threads (while
> holding a lock on the master/global instance). In addition to the copying,
> just the storage used per thread due to the duplication of data may be
> significant for an application with a lot of lightweight threads.

I understand what you mean - do you have an example of an application,
where you would actually have a lot short periods, in which log settings
would get changed often? (because I fail to see such a scenario - and
only in this scenario the problems you outlined happen).

> I'm also not convinced that your lock-free counter is strictly portable, but
> in practice I don't know of a system it wouldn't work well enough on.
> Regardless, I think it is solving the wrong problem (at least for systems with
> any form of real-time constraints) in that the whole design seems to offer low
> average latency, but with a worst-case latency that depends on and scales
> poorly with the size of the system (measured by number of logs and number of
> threads). Finer-grained locking would seem preferable.
> A version that explicitly forgoes thread safety would also seem useful - and
> not just for single threaded apps. It seems like a lot of the implementation
> is tied up in the thread support area - it would be nice to separate the
> threading issues more cleanly.

You're totally right. I think I'll provide for the following options:
- no thread-safety
- thread safety with latency
- thread-safety (with the additional note that I know this will me very
time-consuming compared to the above).

And I will create a test - to see the overhead of each (I really have a
hunch that the third option will be about 5-10 times slower).

> // you will want to do this:
> // (very efficient)
> if (BOOST_IS_LOG_ENABLED(app)) {
> std::ostringstream out;
> for (int idx = 0; idx < 1000000; ++idx)
> out << "message at idx " << idx << std::endl;
> BOOST_LOG(app) << out.str();
> }
>
> Much better - but then why can't I do this:
>
> if (MAKE_LOG(log, app)) {
> for (int idx = 0; idx < 1000000; ++idx)
> log << "message at idx " << idx << std::endl;
> }
>
> Which should be more efficient again?

I guess both would be about the same. It does sound interesting - anyone
wants to second this? If so, I'll do it - it's easy.

That said, busy times have struck again :( For the next couple of months
   I'll be very busy - just started work on a new project. So, I'll
probably have time to incorporate some more changes in 2-4 weeks.

Best,
John

--
John Torjo