From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-02 21:38:31

"Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve" <rwgk_at_[hidden]> writes:

> --- David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> with expression templates, and of course, zero abstraction penalty ;-)
>
> Is a reference-counted array type also part of the plan?

Not specifically. We'll probably be relying on Boost.Move (in the
sandbox) to avoid unneccessary copies. We may use reference-counting
to implement an "fine-grained immutable" array type, but if so, that
will provide a complete illusion of value semantics and *not*
reference semantics. It's crucial that

     array a = b;
     a *= 2;

never alters b. A concept taxonomy in which b is sometimes altered
and sometimes not would be impossible to write generic code for.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting