From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-06 10:31:23

Hi Peter,

On Jul 6, 2004, at 2:51 AM, Peter Schmitteckert (boost) wrote:
> I agree with you, if you restrict matrices to linear algebra. That's a
> fine
> definition. But I'm used to use the notion 'matrix' in a more general
> sense.

Yes... the term "matrix" has a multitude of meanings, all of which
are confusingly similarly but slightly different. However, the current
topic
of conversation is a linear algebra library. Thus it makes sense for
the purpose
of this conversation to restrict the meaning to that of traditional
linear algebra.

Believe me, I'm not trying to exclude physicists or anyone. I'm highly
in
favor of there being lots of numerical libraries in Boost. There can
even
be many different concepts with the name "Matrix", they'll just be in
different namespaces. All I'm saying is that the concept named "Matrix"
in the linear algebra namespace should have the standard linear algebra
meaning and syntax.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jeremy Siek <jsiek_at_[hidden]>
http://www.osl.iu.edu/~jsiek
Ph.D. Student, Indiana University Bloomington
C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)