From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-07 11:30:19

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Michael Glassford wrote:
>
>>What about the following as an alternative? I retain the hierarchy
>>(a TryLock is a Lock, a TimedLock is a TryLock) and resolve the conflict
>
> (of
>
>>consistency within a concept and consistency across concepts) by the
>>principle that a constructor always blocks unless you specifically tell it
>
> not to:
>
>>Definitions
>>-----------
>>M: appropriate mutex type
>>
>>namespace lock_state {
>> typedef enum
>> {
>> unlocked=0,
>> locked=1
>> } lock_state;
>>} //namespace lock_state
>>
>>namespace read_write_lock_state {
>> typedef enum
>> {
>> unlocked=0,
>> read_locked=1,
>> write_locked=2
>> } read_write_lock_state;
>>} //namespace read_write_lock_state
>>
>>namespace blocking_mode {
>> typedef enum
>> {
>> non_blocking=0,
>> blocking=1
>> } blocking_mode;
>>} //namespace blocking_mode
>>
>>ScopedLock / ScopedReadLock / ScopedWriteLock
>>---------------------------------------------
>> lock(M) //always locking, blocking
>> lock(M, lock_state) //blocking
>>
>>ScopedTryLock / ScopedTryReadLock / ScopedTryWriteLock
>> try_lock(M) //always locking, BLOCKING
>> try_lock(M, lock_state) //BLOCKING
>>
>> try_lock(M, lock_state, blocking_mode)
>> try_lock(M, blocking_mode) //always locking
>>

>>ScopedTimedLock / ScopedTimedReadLock / ScopedTimedWriteLock
>> timed_lock(M) //always locking, blocking
>> timed_lock(M, lock_state) //blocking
>>
>> timed_lock(M, lock_state, blocking_mode)
>> timed_lock(M, blocking_mode) //always locking
>>
>> timed_lock(M, t) //always locking, blocking for time t
>

> This is certainly possible, but I don't see what the additional complexity
> buys us.
>
> TryLock l( m, false );
>
> if( l.try_lock() )
> {
> }
>
> looks acceptable to me.
>
> TryLock l( m, non_blocking );
>
> if( l.locked() )
> {
> }
>
> doesn't seem much of an improvement.

The two aren't equivalent (I'm not sure if you meant them to be): in
your first example the constructor doesn't attempt to lock, and your
second example it attempts a non-blocking lock.

In any case,

1) What it buys over the current design:

* Consistent behavior across lock types (which isn't true now:
"lock_type l(M)" currently is blocking for Lock, non-blocking for
TryLock, and doesn't exist for TimedLock AFAICS).

* Consistent behavior within a lock type (which isn't true now:
"try_lock l(M)" is non-blocking, while "try_lock l(M, true)" is
blocking, which is rather arbitrary). The consistent behavior I mean is
that constructors not taking a blocking_mode parameter always block.

* The ability to specify all applicable lock types (blocking,
non-blocking, timed-blocking) in a constructor.

2) What it buys over your suggestion (at the cost of complexity):

* The ability to specify all applicable lock types (blocking,
non-blocking, timed-blocking) in a constructor.

3) I'm proposing the use of enums rather than bools to indicate the
initial state of the lock for these reasons:

* Enums are more explicit, which is good.

* Consistency with read/write locks (if we allow such critters): they
can't use a bool because they have three states.

* Having said that, now that I've changed my mind about what try_lock(M,
true) should do (I now think it should block), my primary original
motivation for using enums is no longer true: it was to prevent the
meaning of try_lock(M, true) from changing silently. So I'm not opposed
to continuing to use a bool if people feel strongly about it, or to
providing both an enum and a bool version (possibly only temporarily).

4) Which leads to a problem with both your proposal and mine: they both
silently break existing code (by changing try_lock(M) from non-blocking
to blocking); at least, I presume you meant that. Would eliminating the
lock_type(M) constructor (perhaps only for a release or two) be a good
idea, or is a prominent warning in the documentation enough?

Mike