From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-09 11:06:47

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 22:31:00 -0700, Robert Ramey wrote
>> I'm trying to check in the serialization system and am having some problems.
>> According to the sourceforge.net docs I need to "register" my host
>> with my local ssh by logging in in the following manner.
>
> Thing is, you don't need to actually ssh to sourceforge to use cvs, so I don't
> think any of the steps you show below is needed. But just in case...

Yes you do, at least once, in order to get your home directory
created on the SF cvs machine. See the SF CVS docs.

>> $ ssh -l ramey cvs.sourceforge.net
>> Could not create directory '/home/Robert Ramey/.ssh'.
>
> This indicates that your cygwin shell thinks your user name is "Robert Ramey".
> If you want to eliminate the errors below, you will need to create a
> directory in /home/Robert Ramey called .ssh.

Or you can just set the HOME variable.

>> Welcome to cvs1.sourceforge.net
>>
>> This is a restricted Shell Account
>> You cannot execute anything here.

This part of the result is expected. It's the issue about being
unable to create .ssh that's unexpected.

>> Connection to cvs.sourceforge.net closed.
>
> I think you are tryning to ssh to the wrong place -- I get the same results at
> that url. Try ssh shell.sf.net instead.

That's for a different purpose altogether.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting