From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-15 07:00:48

"Vladimir Prus" <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
>
> > I think Robert's menu is very effective, and was hoping it
represented
> > a de facto relaxation of the no-script policy.
>
> I have some reservation
>
> 1. It does not work very nice when image loading is turned off (as
it is for
> me).

Good point -- I hadn't thought of that. It's possible -- using tiny
HTML tables -- to generate the icons without using any image files
:-P ... but I'd like to know how many people turn image loading off.

> 2. It takes qutie a lot of screen space.

I guess this is a matter of taste. Some existing libraries have a
navigation panel on the left (maybe PP is the only one), so this issue
isn't really related to scripting.

> > I think script problems can be resolved by
> >
> > (i) Having a (small) boost-wide library of javascipt components
which
> > have been tested on a large number of browsers and which all
library
> > authors would have to use. To begin with, it could just contain a
tree
> > control like Robert's; maybe that would be enough.
>
> I think it's probably better to somehow make all new libraries use
Boost.Book.
> If that's done, any presentation issues can be solved in one place.
For
> example, I think there were already discussion about expandable TOC
on the
> boost-doc failings list.

This may be a good solution. But I think there would still be a need
for a javascript component for use by Boost.Book. From my point of
view -- if I'm writing the script -- it makes no difference whether
it's to be used by individual library authors or by Boost.Book.

> At all events, I'd prefer constistent look of all Boost library docs
(and the
> ability to print them), to every author introducing something they
like.

I agree completely.

> - Volodya

Jonathan