From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-22 23:18:13

On Jul 22, 2004, at 12:00 AM, Vertleyb wrote:
> - The user combines all the groups in a single include, effectively
> chaining
> the enums:

Do the enums always have to be consecutive? I see no problem with
keeping a central file containing the enum values for all Boost
libraries. Then for the simplest cases (the user uses only Boost),
typeof would "just work". Users would still have to extend the library
using BOOST_TYPEOF_USER_GROUP, of course, but at least that's for their
own code. Is it feasible?

> Any comments?

Just reiterating that I think usability is more important than worrying
about the ODR in this case.[*]

        Doug

[*] Last summer I told a room full of compiler developers "It's an ODR
violation, get over it", referring to a design to be integrated into
their C++ compiler/library. They gagged, choked, and accepted the
entire thing for the next release.