From: Tonko Juricic (tonygeek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-27 21:08:34

> Dayton wrote:

I tend to think in the similar direction.

Threads class happens to be the first one that I tried
to use as a newcomer to boost++ so I ended up
'complaining' here.

In particular, losing features that one learns to take
for granted on some platforms (like thread stop,
suspended start) is not motivating.

Also, relying on OS notifications (like
DLL_THREAD_DETACH on Win32) for TLS cleanup, and extra
code required to support boost threads static library
on Win32 is not my favourite, despite a rather
ingenious implementation.

I think it would be best if we can completely avoid
using Win32 DLL process/thread notifications and make
TLS cleanup part of the thread function object.

I already expressed, somewhat radical I guess, opinion
that, at least on Win32, TLS functionality is probably
not worth the trouble of existing cleanup support
code.

Tony