From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-29 08:52:31

Howard Hinnant wrote:

> I sat down to write a realistic example of when a "try_lock"
> constructor might be sufficiently desirable to warrant its existence:

[...]

> template <class Job>
> void
> do_jobs(std::vector<Job>& v)
> {
> typedef typename Job::Mutex Mutex;
> typedef typename Mutex::scoped_lock Lock;
> for (typename std::vector<Job>::iterator i = v.begin(),
> e = v.end(); i != e;
> ++i) {
> Lock lock(*i->mut_, try_lock);
> if (lock && i->needs_executing_)
> {
> i->needs_executing_ = false;
> i->f_();
> }
> }
> }
>
> Then I rewrote do_jobs for the case where I have no try-lock ctor:
>
> template <class Job>
> void
> do_jobs2(std::vector<Job>& v)
> {
> using namespace Metrowerks;
> typedef typename Job::Mutex Mutex;
> typedef typename Mutex::scoped_lock Lock;
> for (typename std::vector<Job>::iterator i = v.begin(),
> e = v.end(); i != e;
> ++i) {
> Lock lock(*i->mut_, defer_lock);
> if (lock.try_lock() && i->needs_executing_)
> {
> i->needs_executing_ = false;
> i->f_();
> }
> }
> }
>
> You really have to squint to see the difference. ... And I just wrote
> AND erased several paragraphs proposing that we eliminate the try and
> timed constructors, but also how I did not feel strongly either way!
> :-)
>
> But I just noticed a difference (apparently I didn't squint enough the
> first time ;-) ).
>
> The loop in do_jobs is no-throw if i->f_() is no-throw. The same loop
> in do_jobs2 should be no-throw as well, and it is, but the compiler
> doesn't know it. That is, the statement:
>
> lock.try_lock()
>
> hides the test:
>
> if (locked_)
> throw lock_error();
>
> This is an unnecessary run time inefficiency.

Interesting point. I really hoped that compilers are good enough to inline
the constructor and try_lock and eliminate the dead code. But it doesn't
seem so.

The question is, is this an argument in favor of the try_lock constructor,
or an argument against the if( locked_ ) overhead in the try_lock member
function?

As for the constructor vs member function: a counterpoint: consider what
happens when the programmer omits the if(lock) test by mistake. I'm not
saying that this is a particularly compelling argument, by the way, but you
may feel differently.