From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-01 18:37:25

Victor A. Wagner Jr. writes:
> I have NO idea what criteria build_monitor uses to killing
> processes,

Two conditions:

1) They have to be spawned by 'bjam.exe' executable.
2) They have to be running for more than 5 minutes or show an
   error dialog window.

> but when I awoke this morning, it had managed to kill: the dnet
> "run in the background" ORG process, Pirch (my IRC client), a
> proxy that lets me get dcc's through my hardware firewall,
> Trillian (the instant message program), SpyBot resident.....
> I think you get the picture.

How did you determine that it's build_monitor that caused all
that? While there is always a possibility of a program having bugs,
it's hard to believe that this particular one started to misbehave
all of a sudden after a year of stable work and no changes to the
source code.

> this thing just walked through my system like a hoard of Vandals
> (or was it Visigoths). whatever

I'm sorry to hear about the whole thing, but let's get to the roots
of it. First of all, why do you think it was build_monitor? Second,
what operating system are you running?

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering