From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-02 09:49:00

Joel de Guzman writes:
> Aleksey, if it's not too much too ask, would it make sense if Spirit
> 1.6 be added to the developer report?

I'm afraid neither I nor Misha have resources to look into it at the
moment.

> There is only a limited set of
> compiler/configurartions that I can test and it would be a great help
> if I can see the results on more compilers. Thoughts?

Is there any reason to use Spirit 1.6 instead of 1.8 besides when you have
to work with old MSVC/Borland? If not, and if those configurations are
being tested, it's an acceptable compromise, IMO.

> General question: until *when* will we have to support old compilers
> such as borland, VC6/7 and g++2.95.3 ???

Here's how I see it:

Individual library authors can drop the support of any particular compiler
at their will. If there are other libraries that depend on it, and their
developers want to continue to support the dropped compiler, they can
negotiate the conditions on which it's going to happen. It's totally up
to the interested parties what the result of this negotiation is going to
be.

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering