From: Aaron W. LaFramboise (aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-02 16:08:36

Michael Glassford wrote:
> Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:
>>Michael Glassford wrote:

>>>Thanks! I've been looking forward to you posting this, and it appears to
>>>work beautifully for VC++ 7.1 (as others have already commented). Do I
>>>have your permission to included it in Boost.Threads under the Boost
>>>license (with your name on it, of course)?
>>
>>Yes, you and anyone else have perpetual permission to offer it under any
>>license you choose.
>
> Thank you. It's in, and will be in the upcoming release. A lot of people
> will be happy, including me! I look forward to the GCC version as well,
> though I haven't yet used GCC myself.

Make sure you look at Roland's code that gets MSVC6 right by doing a
fixup that fixes a problem in the TLS support code. That fixup should
only be done on MSVC6 though.

For GCC/MinGW, I'm actually adding an API that gets all of this right:
an atexit variant that knows about module unloading and thread
destruction. Ideally all compilers would have such an API to make these
sorts of problems easy. :)

> If I understand what DLL_PROCESS_DETACH means (the thread is being
> notified that it is being detached because the process is exiting), the
> call to on_process_exit() is incorrect; on_process_exit() is meant to be
> called when the process actually exits (it calls TlsFree()). The most
> likely place to call it is at the end of main() or after the main thread
> exits.

Well, as near as I can tell, when the TLS routine is called with
DLL_PROCESS_DETACH, this will be the absolute last user code executing
in the process, including DLL destructors. As far as I know, once you
return from DLL_PROCESS_DETACH in the TLS routine, no more user code
will run.

Aaron W. LaFramboise