From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-11 08:38:44

Jonathan Wakely <cow_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 12:43:37PM +0200, Markus Sch?pflin wrote:
>
>> The toolset was modified on my behalf. Below is an excert of the mail I
>> sent to justify the changes.
> [snip]
>> >- The use of "-std strict_ansi -nopure_cname" was causing all kinds of
>> >troubles for me. I replaced that with "-D__USE_STD_IOSTREAM -nousing_std"
>> >which seems to work far better.
>
> This seems a bit hasty IMHO. Surely it would be better to make Boost work
> with the compiler in strict_ansi mode than just force the compiler to act
> in a non-standard way?

Totally agreed. "was causing all kinds of troubles... seems to work
far better" seems like a very weak justification for that change.
The right thing to do is to determine specifically where the problems
are coming from and why. It's very possible the problems were caused
by bugs in some Boost libraries that should have been fixed but that
are being masked by the change of options.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting