From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-22 04:26:52

David Abrahams wrote:
> Doesn't Walter update DMC++ quite often? Would it be better to just
> report bugs to him and wait for the fixes? I have no major objection
> to the patches; I'm just slightly concerned about crufting up the
> codebase to add support for a previously unsupported compiler if it
> will happen without changes in a few weeks anyway.

I've made a few bug reports concerning type traits - although mainly
concerning the bugs that I haven't worked around. You can see them here:

http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?c%2B%2B/4156

I'm a little hesitant when it comes to overload resolution because I
don't fully understand the rules, especially the subtleties required for
the type traits library. Having said that, the main problem is the way
it overloads variable argument lists, and I can probably get my head
around that. Would anyone be willing to help me out by writing an
explanation of what's required? I can put together examples showing
exactly what fails.

In this case, I didn't think the patch was that bad, it only really adds
code to is_convertible, which already seems to have an implementation
per compiler. I could simplify it a bit by adding
BOOST_NO_INCLASS_MEMBER_INITIALIZATION to Digital Mars' config file, so
that enums are used for all member static constants, but that seemed a
little extreme.

For the preprocessor library, I think that if all the bugs I reported
were fixed then my changes could be totally removed. But I don't expect
that will happen soon.

Daniel