From: Richard Hadsell (hadsell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-25 11:03:42

Markus Schöpflin wrote:

> Currently, the name mangling scheme used on this platform is the
> default one selected by the compiler. It turns out that this is a bad
> choice when compiling boost. ...
> Therefore I propose to explicitely set the name mangling to ansi in
> the tools file for this compiler. Does anyone have any strong feelings
> or arguments against such a change?

Wouldn't this force users to compile all of their code with nondefault
name mangling? I would prefer that the docs include some warnings about
the problem, with instructions about how to alter the name mangling.
Making nondefault compiler behavior the default for using boost places a
burden on the users rather than making it easier for them.

Instead, just make sure it's easy for users that are already using the
alternate name mangling to configure boost for it.

--
Dick Hadsell			914-259-6320  Fax: 914-259-6499
Reply-to:			hadsell_at_[hidden]