From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-01 16:00:14

On Sep 1, 2004, at 9:54 PM, Neal D. Becker wrote:

> In order to serialize, it would be helpful to add an interface to
> mersenne_twister to get/set the state. I don't think there is any I/F
> get the state.

When we need to serialize RNGs we currently use the possibility to
convert the state to a string using operator <<(std::ostream&, const
RNG&) and operator >>(std::istream&, RNG&). A better serialization
mechanism should, in my opinion directly use the serialization library
and not go over some get_state/set_state functions, since the state
might be described by more than just a container.

Matthias