From: Tony Juricic (tonygeek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-04 14:04:06

I just downloaded Roland's implementation and I quite like it. By the way,
congrats Roland on resolving TLS callback issues for static link library for
VC6 and VC7; after digging into it as I joined the group I was too busy but
now I hope to have more time and, at least, help with more testing.

While intentional TLS slot leak is not a big issue (one expects that OS will
do proper cleanup on program exit) it may be confusing to the first-time
reader who may have a hard time understanding the motivation for protecting
programmers from some leaks, while leaving other leaks to the OS. Reference
counting makes it quite clear to the reader what is intended by the code.

I wonder what are current plans for the future of threads libray, after a
lot of discussion about rewrite?

My own perspecitive is colored by everyday practical use: for example, I
never encountered any need for thread-specific pointer but I often had to
pass a boolean to thread proc to make a thread stop. Consequently, and as I
would like to use boost threads instead of my own concotion, I would like to
see "thread stopping pattern", lacking better term and just for example, as
the part of the interface.

I understand these are difficult issues but after quite a few years of using
threads I am not sure that I still find 'older' Java-like thread(s)
interface particularly useful.

Tony