From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-05 12:29:38

"Bronek Kozicki" <brok_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
> >>Sorry for jumping with this question out of nowhere : is it possible to
> >>use Iostreams to provide stream-like access to sockets, ie. make
> >>platform-independent abstraction over platform-dependent sockets library?
> >

> > Yes. I have done this. I wanted to included an example, but there would have
> > been too much extra code to include.
>
> maybe you should publish this example anyway?

My example used a bare-bones windows and linux socket-wrapping library by Jasen
Plietz. I wrote to hime to see if I could use it, but never heard from him.
Looking in the sandbox and files sections instead, there were so many socket
libraries that I was a bit overwhelmed. I didn't want to use Hugo Duncan's work,
since his library appears quite large.

I'm trying to avoid using the low-level windows and posix socket functions,
since that is not my expertise.

> > Please see 'Planned Changes'-->Item 4 (http://tinyurl.com/6rtkz) and
'Fututer
> > Directions' (http://tinyurl.com/6r8p2).