From: Lassi A.Tuura (lassi.tuura_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-30 03:46:04

> Can a static library do better type checking? In particular can it
> figure out, at compile time, if there are no applicable methods or no
> unambiguous method?

That's not meaningful if you want to allow dynamic loading to extend
the multi-method family.

The dispatch mechanism I used is not as fast as virtual function call
for a single "virtual" argument, but it is only a (largish) constant
factor off. In a compiler implementation that factor could be reduced
fairly close to one as far as I have planned. For more than one
"virtual" argument the dispatch cost increases, but not a lot -- it
should be linear or close to it for many common usage patterns.

Lassi

--
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
thought which they avoid.  --Kierkegaard