From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-01 12:02:37

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote in message:

> Jonathan Turkanis's Iostreams library has been accepted into boost.

I'd like to thank everyone who particpated in the review, and Jeff for acting as
review manager.

"Dylan Trotter" <trotterdylan_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > 6) Presidential filter example
> > While many of us see the humor in this, there was at least one objection
> > introducing 'political comedy' into boost. Overall, the example should be
> > renamed and reformulated since in a few years no one will get the joke
> > anyway. Sorry to go politically correct here, but boost needs to be
> > above the fray.

<snip>

> So while there may have been at least one complaint, let me be (perhaps
> one of) the first to praise the Presidential Filter example as a good
> joke

Thanks.

> and as a good example.

Thanks again.

> I know praise doesn't count as much as
> complaining in the world these days. Unfortunately this means that good
> things are often thrown away in our zeal to make the complainers shut up
> and thus I'm sure the Presidential Filter example will never again show
> up in Boost.

One thing that became clear during the review is that instead of short
descriptions of filters together with links to the filters, example programs and
sample output I need to write fully annotated examples where I step through the
code and explain what is happening at each point.

In particular, I plan to write a section on writing filters which perform word
substitution using a dictionary; this will be a good way to illustrate the
differences between the various types of filters. For this purpose it doesn't
really matter what key, value pairs the dictionary contains. I may use the
usenet abbreviations.

While I'm sorry to see the presidential example go -- it looks like it will
probably be relevant for another 28 dog years -- I understand and accept Jeff's
rationale.

Jonathan